Support Our Youth by helping them raise their voices and get decision-makers to listen.
TAKE ACTION. There are many ways to show your support for this important movement, some as easy as a click of the mouse, and some that require you to go out into the street and stand with our youth as they fight for their right to inherit a healthy planet. Here are some ideas:
1. Donate. Support the youth legal effort by donating to the cause. We need financial partners to keep the cases moving forward. These young people cannot afford to fund litigation and while many of the attorneys and experts are able to donate time pro bono, there are still significant costs and we cover those. Any amount helps and we all thank you for your generosity and support! We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
2. Share the TRUST videos on Facebook and Twitter, or by e-mail. Click the "share" icon in the upper right corner of the video, and follow the instructions. If you teach, show them to your students.
3. Host a Film Screening Event in your home, school, church, workplace, city council, local theater or wherever people will gather. A complete TRUST Screening Guide will be available on our website soon with a step by step plan for screening the films.
4. Sign the Petition telling President Obama and six federal agencies that carbon emissions MUST be reduced to 350 ppm by 2100. E-mail the link to your family and friends so they can sign the petition as well!
5. Attend an Event in your state. Court hearings, film screenings, administrative proceedings, marches and other youth-led events are happening. Please check our Upcoming Events page often and come out in support of the youth if you can. If you would like more information, please contact us. Encourage youth to join our partner, the iMatter Movement, and get involved with young people around the world who are standing up for their right to a healthy and just future.
6. Join the TRUST Campaign. We are looking for mothers, fathers, grandparents, aunts and uncles, lawyers, scientists, activists, artists and anyone willing to get involved and stand up for future generations. Contact us and find out how you can volunteer and get involved.
7. Teach kids about their right to inherit a healthy planet. Youth have the most to lose if we continue "business as usual" in emitting greenhouse gases. By the end of the century, kids born today might live in an ice-free world. Their democratic government has a duty as a trustee over public resources to protect that public property for this generation, but also future generations. Many of the youth we work with can't vote and don't have money to lobby, but they all have a legal right to a healthy atmosphere, to the planetary resources we were fortunate enough to have. Our kids' planetary inheritance is being wasted.
8. Reduce your CO2 emissions by 6% each year and plant trees. Let's model what our governments need to do and demand that they do the same. In order to return atmospheric CO2 below 350 ppm, the world needs to reduce global emissions by at least 6% per year starting in 2013 and reforest our land and protect our carbon sequestering soils. Do a carbon accounting and make a carbon budget. Then tell your city and your state to do one too!
9. Make Arriving by Bike a habit. Teaching kids to bike commute gives them a wonderful life skill. Push your community to make biking safe and easy.
10. Make "Low-Carbon Parenting" your goal. So much of what we do as parents in the 21st century is centered around transporting our children around in vehicles and buying carbon-intensive goods. We do it with all good intention and love. But living a more sustainable and local lifestyle is one of the most important things we can do to care for our children and to protect their future. Parent as if the future matters.
11. If you are a faith leader, Sign the Centre for Child Honouring's Plea